FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
A few weeks back, Peloton unveiled a new lower-cost tread while renaming the current treadmill to Tread+, creating a tricky dilemma for current Peloton owners and new shoppers looking at Peloton. Read on as we round up everything we know about the Peloton Tread vs. Tread+.
Peloton Tread vs. Tread+ pricing
For many people, the biggest difference between the Tread and the Tread+ is the pricing structure. The Tread+ starts at $4,295 before the extended warranty, accessories, or tax. The Tread, coming in early 2021, retails for $2,495 before tax, extended warranty, or accessories.
Since the current Tread+ is the existing product, it’s the only one available for Christmas 2020, but it’s the older of the two products.
For the $1,800 premium, many people are wondering if the Peloton Tread+ is worth the additional cost. Depending on how you plan to use your Peloton, these features could easily help justify the added expense. Here are some of the highlights.
The Peloton Tread+ includes a shock-absorbing slat belt vs. a traditional running belt in the Peloton Tread. The Peloton Tread+ has a 32″ HD screen where the Peloton Tread includes a 23.8” HD touch screen.
Dimension wise, the Tread+ takes up more room than the Peloton Tread. The Tread+ has dimensions of 72.5” L x 36.5” W x 72” H where the Tread is 68” L x 33” W x 62” H. For space-conscious buyers, Peloton Tread will be a much better choice. The Tread+ includes 67″ of running space where the Peloton Tread includes 59″.
The sound system in Peloton Tread+ is higher-end than the Tread. It includes a 20 W soundbar with 70Hz to 20KHz frequency response. The Peloton Tread includes front-facing stereo speakers and 2.2 Channel with rear-facing woofers
Other odds and ends to consider:
- Both treadmills recommend the use of a 15A dedicated circuit.
- Peloton Tread+ 24″ greater than the user’s height vs. 20″ for Treadmill.
- Both treadmills include 4GB of RAM, a 2.5 GHz Qualcomm QCS605 Processor, and 16GB of storage.
- Tread includes a USB-C charging port where Tread+ includes a USB-A charging port.
- Tread includes Bluetooth 5.0 vs Bluetooth 4.0 for Tread+. In practice, the Bluetooth version won’t make a difference in day to day use.
- Tread includes a 4 digital array microphone, while Tread+ includes a more basic microphone.
Which Peloton Tread should you buy?
For most people, the new Peloton Tread is the ideal purchase. Peloton uses a better/best product strategy, but there isn’t much of a reason to spend an extra $1,800 to purchase the Tread+ unless you need it before Christmas.
Since Bike+ was the newer product, it contained many of the newest technical features and upgrades speakers. Since the new treadmill is the “better” product, it included some upgraded components vs. the Tread+ despite being the lower cost product. Whenever Peloton introduces a new Tread+, it’s likely that there may be additional reasons to purchase the higher-end product in the future, but until that happens, the Peloton Tread is the better purchase for the majority of buyers.
Use referral code P6EDPS to save $100 off Peloton accessories when you buy a treadmill.
- Peloton launches new Field Testing beta program, here’s how to sign up
- A look back at the original Peloton Kickstarter campaign
- Peloton adds a ‘Your Tags working out now’ filter
- Jess King now a Peloton Tread instructor, new classes available today
- Peloton’s Tread+ warranty updated to include longer duration on parts
- Peloton Bike vs Bike+: Which should you buy?
- New details emerge about Peloton’s Bike+ and lower cost treadmill [Gallery]